1. Go to Products and then select Attributes. In this tutorial, we have already created two: size and flavour. To create a new attribute in this example, enter Colour for the name but leave the slug field blank.
2. After that, select the Type you want, then click Add Attribute.
3. Now that it’s been created, we need to add the terms. To do so, go to the right-hand side of the screen and click the Configured Terms icon.
4. A prompt to add the Name, in this case, the colours—will then appear. After that, click Add New Colour. If we go back to Attributes, you can see that colour is now created with three terms, which are the new colours.
5. The next step is to add it to a product. Go to Products, then select Add Product. Click on Attributes you’ll see below.
6. From the drop down menu, you can also create a custom attribute directly from this page or select an existing one. Since we created Colour in this tutorial, select it from the list, and then click Add.
7. Click Select All to see the three options we have just created. If this product doesn’t have all three options, you can remove the ones that it doesn’t have. You can also type in the colour to add it back.
8. Always tick the Visible on the product page, then click Save Attributes.
9. Once you’ve done that, go to the Variable product to create a variation that the user can select.
10. When we click Attributes, the colour we just created remains with the new option Used for variations. Tick that and then click Save Attributes.
11. Go to Variations, and you can then add that attribute.
12. After selecting Add variation from the drop-down menu, click Go.
13. It will then allow you to choose the colour. If you feel the need to add more, click Add variation and Save Changes.